Friday, March 16, 2012
Music That Carries
Just a small list of some of the songs that have carried me through many insomniac nights. You'll notice most of them are sad--for some reason when I'm sad I don't want to listen to upbeat music or dance tunes. I want Cat Stevens and Chely Wright. Gary Jules, The Fray, Billy Joel. I want acoustic guitar and melodies that will get stuck in my head for days. I want music to give words to the emotions and speak for my soul.
1) Lullaby (Goodnight My Angel)--Billy Joel
He wrote this song for his daughter after his dad died. It is part comforting reassurance and part heartache and love
2) If You Could Read My Mind--Gordon Lightfoot
This song is so beautifully worded, it is heartbreaking
3) Somebody That I Used to Know--Walk Off The Earth (Cover of Gotye)
AMAZING. Period. My favorite lines run:
"You can get addicted to a certain kind of sadness
like resignation to the end, always the end"
Sums up all of my "funks" and all the times I needed to snap out of it and focus again on the blessings
4) The Raincoat Song and
5) Red Right Ankle--both by The Decemberists
The Decemberists are incredible--their lead singer and songwriter has a creative writing major degree, same as me =)
6) You've Got A Friend--James Taylor or Carole King
This is my parent's song, and every time I hear it I get homesick
7) Mad World--Gary Jules
I learned this one on the piano. I love it when a student will walk by and sing along
8) Seven Bridges Road--The Eagles
Give me acapella harmony ANY DAY--in my opinion their best song, next to Desperado and (of course) Hotel California
9) Homeward Bound--Simon and Garfunkel
10) Iron--Woodkid
This one is a little different. I recommend you watch the music video and look up the lyrics, as the singer has a pretty heavy accent.
11) Rocks and Water--The Weepies
There is a story in this song that changes every time you listen to it
12) California Dreamin--The Mamas and The Papas
This song makes me think of my high school friends and how we would turn up old radio songs, roll down the windows, and sing them at the top of our lungs
13) Happiness--The Fray
The never-ending search to define that word...
14) One More Time With Feeling--Regina Spektor
15) Pumped Up Kicks--Foster the People
Ok, so if you listen to the lyrics, it's pretty messed up. But if you just let it wash over you, it's pretty soothing
16) Pretty Melody--Butch Walker
LOVE THIS SONG--and always a good one to end on
*Picture by Google*
