
Poetry draft for my journal--the assignment was to take something cliche and abstract, like heartbreak or regret or dreams, and create a concrete scene. This one was inspired by the winter storm we had today:
Smudging through
gray and white,
tracks of muddy gold
in a March flurry. I
glaze through slushy sidewalks
feeling heavy in
big chocolate boots.
Eyes find the
treetops;
gray green reflecting
silver blue,
reminding me of your
oceanic gaze
which never fails to
melt my world.
A single snowflake
ice crystal tender
rides the wind
right
down
my sweater,
committing suicide
on my collar bone;
burst of
frigid bliss.
Shivering,
I think of
this selfless kiss,
cold where you are warm.
Brief and unexpected
where yours are rare,
absent,
mechanical.
When I think
of all the ways you
hold back
push away
build walls
flare with
sudden temper
sizzle...
I think I prefer
the frozen
kiss,
selflessly unassuming,
to
your
empty
one.
*picture from me*